We offer a warm welcome to all golfers and invite you to play one of the best courses in the North East of England.
There is no single reason why people take up golf but we offer a warm welcome to anyone joining whether for exercise, competition or social contact and friendship. Our current membership is diverse covering all ages, abilities and backgrounds. Our course is open all year - except in very severe weather conditions and Christmas Day and represents good value for money.
Situated in the Land of the Prince Bishops, with many stunning views of the picturesque Wear Valley and Auckland Castle, it is easy to see why we are considered one of the treasures in County Durham. Founded in 1894 on land owned by the Church Commission, the parkland course has retained much of its original character whilst being modified to keep up with the demands of modern golf.
The course has some of the best fairways you could wish to play from and the greens are fine and true. The 7th hole is regarded by many as one of the best in the North of England and has featured in many magazines. The course is truly a good test of golf for all handicaps.
The clubhouse was rebuilt in the 1990's. It`s has two lounges and a large dining room that enjoy spectacular views across the Wear Valley. There is also a separate bar and snooker room. We have a varied social programme running throughout the year and full catering facilities available for members to book for private family functions such as weddings, christenings, birthday parties etc. As a member, or visitor, it is also well worth taking time to enjoy a drink of your preferred beverage prior to playing or after you have finished.
Our professional, Michael Pilgrim, has a fully equipped shop on site and offers friendly advice on all golfing matters. He is also highly respected for his coaching skills.
If you are considering a golf membership give serious consideration to our wonderful club. The facilities and reasonable rates make us outstanding value. Please contact the secretary who will be pleased to show you around and clarify any issues you may have.
Membership attracts these additional benefits
We are aware that a number of golfers are unsure about the future of their golf club. If this applies to you and your looking to secure an alternative club membership we would invite you to check out our facilities and current offers. Please contact our secretary for details.
Additional to the benefits described above we also provide members with:
- Inclusive golf insurance as part of annual subscriptions.
- One complimentary 4 ball each playing season to invite friends to play the course.
- Reductions on bar and catering via a loyalty card scheme.
- Free golf for family members under the age of 11 years.
- Significantly reduced subscriptions for 2016 for young people up to 28 years
- Free Direct Debit for members opting to make monthly payments
- Members can play at Saltburn, Catterick, Teeside or Bedale golf clubs on weekdays at significantly reduced green fees (eg £10.00 per round) as part of a reciprocal "passport" scheme. (Details on request)
- Members can play at Arcot Hall on weekdays for free and use their loyalty card for reductions on bar and catering as part of a reciprocal agreement..
- Members can play Stocksfield on weekdays for £7.50pp as part of a reciprocal agreement.
- Restaurant booking arrangements for family functions.
- A variety of internal competitions and social functions throughout the year.
As a testament to our quality we were proud to host the northern region inter-county ladies golf tournament in June 2013 as one of the regions "premier courses". So if your looking to move clubs either as an individual or a group why not give us a try- please contact our secretary to discuss terms and conditions. Tel 01388 661618
Investing for the Future
We are a progressive club that is committed to continually improving our course. For example in 2014 we successfully completed a major tree planting program whereby more than 70 mature trees were relocated to create a new tree lined fairway between the 5th and 6th holes. Our 15th, 16th, 1st and 3rd greens have been totally re-built in 2014 / 2015 to add yet more interest and enjoyment to those playing the course. The course remains our top priority for future investment.